Guest Blog Post by Michelle Bobo from the Texas Department of Agriculture
What is it?
GO TEXAN is a widely recognized brand. It represents a diverse collection of people, products and services that are genuinely Texan. GO TEXAN includes: Goods (products from soaps, spices, jewelry, apparel, houseware, and hunting gear), foods (from cheese and meat to cake and candy), restaurants (food trucks to fine dining), beverages (water, tea and cola to beer, wine and spirits), communities (from rural towns to Certified Retirement Communities and Chambers of Commerce) and farmers and ranchers (from producers of fruits, vegetables, flowers, nurseries, livestock and seafood, along with trade associations and farmers markets). GO TEXAN represents Texas agri-business on state, national and international levels by building recognition for the GO TEXAN mark and helping consumers find Texas products.
There’s no denying Lone Star pride! GO TEXAN, with its signature mark in the shape of Texas, celebrates, promotes and supports the business savvy and plainspoken grit Texas agriculture is known for throughout the world. Whether it’s grown, sewn or served up on a plate, more than 26 million Texans shop, travel and dine out in support of Texas business and agriculture, looking for the GO TEXAN mark to light the way.
Why GO TEXAN?
Reap the benefits of joining a movement as big and bold as the State of Texas. Consumers make buying decisions based on the prestige of GO TEXAN, a desire to support the Texas economy and the value received from buying local! Research shows Texas consumers want to buy Texas products and support their state. In other words, GO TEXAN helps your bottom line.
Benefits of GO TEXAN Membership
- Use of the GO TEXAN mark: The GO TEXAN mark is at the heart of the GO TEXAN campaign so put the Branding Power of GO TEXAN to Work for You! When your company decides to join GO TEXAN, you will receive use of the GO TEXAN mark, one of your most powerful marketing tools. the GO TEXAN mark – a glowing brand in the shape of Texas – provides a branding boost that helps shoppers identify your products at a glance. All of TDA’s GO TEXAN promotional materials, print advertisements and media campaigns promote the program’s awareness and remind buyers that when they want to experience what Texas has to offer they should look for the GO TEXAN mark. Using the GO TEXAN mark on your own company’s labels, brochures, website and other marketing materials puts the power of the state’s strongest agricultural marketing campaign to work for you. The GO TEXAN mark can be used on product packaging and promotional materials, including brochures, websites, flyers, point-of-purchase items, catalogs, advertisements, etc., for any product that qualifies for membership under the GO TEXAN eligibility rules.
- Publications: Members receive the GO TEXAN Round-Up Info-letter monthly, a publication exclusively created for current GO TEXAN program participants and partners.
- Exclusive GO TEXAN Promotional Opportunities like the State Fair of Texas: Sell your Texas products in the GO TEXAN General Store. You don’t have to be there for 24 days. The store contractor sets up and stocks the merchandise for you! Sampling dates are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Special Deals: Special rates on publications and shipping for GO TEXAN members.
If you are still not convinced whether GO TEXAN is right for your Texas business, take a look at these highlights from our 2015 GO TEXAN member survey:
- Sixty-eight percent of survey respondents said that their sales increased over the last year, and 44.8 percent of the respondents attributed at least a portion of the increase to their GO TEXAN membership.
- Estimated gross sales for all GO TEXAN members totaled $950 million in the past year, up 67.58 percent from $642 million in 2014. The estimated economic impact totaled $1.7 billion.
- Return on Investment: Every $1 spent by the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) on the GO TEXAN program resulted in direct sales increases of $16.09, up from $11.24 in 2014 and $4.37 in 2010.
- The top program feature cited by 82 percent of respondents was the use of the GO TEXAN mark. Second was their listing on the GO TEXAN website, followed by participation in trade shows and festivals, GO TEXAN social media mentions and participation in the State Fair Food and Fiber Pavilion.
- Based on sales data reported by survey respondents, $11.2 million in direct sales increases were attributable to the GO TEXAN program. This is up from $7.2 million in 2014. These sales had an estimated economic impact of approximately $20 million.
Don’t delay, show your Texas pride today! Businesses can join on the GO TEXAN website, http://gotexan.org/BecomeAMember.aspx.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Michelle Bobo is a Field Representative with the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA). She is based out of Bedias, Texas, which is about 45 minutes northeast of College Station. Her main job responsibility is to promote all of TDA’s programs and services within her region of Texas, which includes 19 counties. She graduated from Texas A&M in 1996 and graduated law school in 2000. She practiced employment and family law in the Dallas area for approximately ten years, until she decided to pursue a different career path and moved to Bedias and began working with the Texas Department of Rural Affairs (TDRA) in July of 2010. She worked with the Texas Community Development Block Grant program (CDBG) exclusively managing infrastructure projects until the legislature in 2012 dissolved TDRA and moved the CDBG program under the umbrella of the TDA’s Trade and Business Development Division. In December of that year, she began working in her current assignment as a marketing representative for the agency and loves her new role. She enjoys traveling, cooking, puzzling and spending time with her three dogs.
Visit www.gotexan.org to learn more about the additional benefits of joining GO TEXAN!